Workforce: 7with: 0 permanents, 0 non-permanent
THE VISION AND MISSION OF THE BIPM
The BIPM is an international organization established by the Metre Convention, through which Member States act together on matters related to measurement science and measurement standards.
Its vision is to be universally recognized as the world focus for the international system of measurement.
Its mission is to work with the NMIs of its Member States, the RMOs and strategic partners world-wide and to use its international and impartial status to promote and advance the global comparability of measurements for:
- Scientific discovery and innovation,
- Industrial manufacturing and international trade,
- Improving the quality of life and sustaining the global environment.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE BIPM
- To represent the world-wide measurement community, aiming to maximize its uptake and impact.
We liaise with relevant intergovernmental organizations and other international bodies in order to develop opportunities for the application of metrology to global challenges.
- To be a centre for scientific and technical collaboration between Member States, providing capabilities for international measurement comparisons on a shared-cost basis.
We coordinate international comparisons of national measurement standards agreed to be of the highest priority.
We establish and maintain appropriate reference standards for use as the basis of key international comparisons at the highest level and provide selected calibrations from them.
- To be the coordinator of the world-wide measurement system, ensuring it gives comparable and internationally accepted measurement results.
We coordinate activities between the NMIs of Member States and the RMOs, including the provision of technical services to support the CIPM MRA and the infrastructure for the development and promotion of the SI.
Fulfilling our mission and objectives is underpinned by our work in:
- capacity building, which aims to achieve a global balance between the metrology capabilities in Member States;
- knowledge transfer, which ensures that our work has the greatest impact.
- Atomic references
- Synchronisation, frequency transfer and time scales
- Time scales